The new international airport at Mohali will offer domestic and international flights. The existing terminal being used for domestic flights at Chandigarh will no longer be used.
May 2015 Status: Under Construction at Jheourheri village, Punjab in 305 acres. Construction almost completed. Final touches being given. Test flights might begin in June.
Approximate date of functioning: Possibly June-August, 2015
Haryana, Punjab and Chandigarh disputing over the name of the upcoming airport. Construction in process. Runway upgrade for full sized wide bodied aircrafts may take another 2 years. Civil Aviation Ministry draft excludes Chandigarh airport as international hub.
May 2015: PM Modi invited for inauguration of the international airport, possibly by May end/June. Test flights should begin in June.
January 2015: Indian Air Force tells Sunday Newsline (Indian Express), runway that meets international norms will not be completed until 2017.Cat II instrument landing System will not be operational until Jan 2017. (required for flight take offs/landing during low visibility). Possibility of mid-sized aircrafts to nearby international destinations possible until runway upgrade completed.
November-Dec 2014: Civil Aviation Ministry proposes draft that will make only 6 metros as international hubs (excluding Chandigarh. Punjab Govt. opposes and will take up the matter with them. Punjab proposes "Shaheed-E-Azam Sardar Bhagat Singh International Airport, Mohali" as the new name of the airport.
July 2014: 60% of the construction work done while the rest will be completed by the deadline of February 2015 by Larsen and Toubro.
May 2013: Haryana and Punjab dispute once again over the name of the new international airport.
July 2012: Larsen and Toubro get the contract to start construction for the new terminal building to be completed by 2014.
May 2012: Punjab and Haryana dispute again regarding naming of the new airport after Union Civil Aviation Minister approved in principle the name "Shaheed Bhagat Singh International Airport". Haryana wants it named after Chandigarh.
October 2011: CM Parkash Singh Badal urges PM Manmohan Singh to lay foundation stone for the airport. Most likely, the airport will be named Shaheed Bhagat Singh International Airport.
Shaheed-E-Azam Sardar Bhagat Singh international Airport, Mohali
Shaheed Bhagat Singh International Airport, Mohali
Bhagat Singh International Airport, Mohali
Bhagat Singh International Airport, Chandigarh
Nek Chand International Airport
Chandigarh International Airport
Mohali International Airport
CONNECTIVITY WITH THE LOCAL CHANDIGARH AIRPORT
The Chandigarh Master Plan discusses three options to access the new international airport by road. The new airport terminal will be located on the south side of the runway.
1. Connecting both the terminals via an underground tunnel across the runway: The existing road that goes to the airport will continue and will go across the other side of the runway via an underground tunnel. This route was not approved as per recent media reports.
2. From Zirakpur: A road off NH21 going via Zirakpur will connect with the new airport terminal. No recent updates available currently on this route.
- Via NH 64, connecting further with Airport-Aerocity Road.
- Via NH 22, connecting further with Airport-Aerocity Road.
3. From Chandigarh Purav Marg, Sector 48 side. No recent updates are available about this route.
CONNECTIVITY OPTIONS PROVIDED BY GMADA
1. Airport Aerocity Road connecting further with a road going directly to the new airport. This road can be accessed near Mohali Railway Station.
2. A road going off Sector 65, Mohali and connecting with the road going directly to the new airport. This route is being constructed.