The new international airport at Mohali will offer domestic and international flights. Domestic flights at the existing terminal will get shifted to the new terminal. Location: Jheourheri village, Punjab. Area: approximately 305 acres.
This page was updated on September 27, 2015. Continue reading for new updates and news.
September 2015 Status: Construction completed.Modi Inaugurates the New International Terminal in Mohali the airport on September 11. New terminal may not become operational after inauguration as it may take a few weeks in order to complete pending tasks. International flights may not start until near Christmas as per Tribune News Service. Domestic flights operations may start from the new terminal on October 19.
Approximate date of functioning: October 19, 2015.
September 23-27, 2015:
September 1-22, 2015:
August 2015: PM Modi to inaugurate the airport on September 11. Mohali admin starts cleanliness drive near airport.
July 2015: Final formalities pending: Deployment of CISF officials, setting up of aviation turbine fuel tanks, handing over of the airport from L&T to AAI. (based on Indian Express news article).
June 2015: Modi cancelled trip to Punjab which was scheduled for June 19. No tentative date for inauguration currently available. Chandigarh residents demand international airport to be named after Nek Chand.
May 2015: PM Modi invited for inauguration of the international airport, possibly by May end/June. Test flights could begin in June.
January 2015: Indian Air Force tells Sunday Newsline (Indian Express), runway that meets international norms will not be completed until 2017.Cat II instrument landing System will not be operational until Jan 2017. (required for flight take offs/landing during low visibility). Possibility of mid-sized aircrafts to nearby international destinations possible until runway upgrade completed.
November-Dec 2014: Civil Aviation Ministry proposes draft that will make only 6 metros as international hubs (excluding Chandigarh. Punjab Govt. opposes and will take up the matter with them. Punjab proposes "Shaheed-E-Azam Sardar Bhagat Singh International Airport, Mohali" as the new name of the airport.
July 2014: 60% of the construction work done while the rest will be completed by the deadline of February 2015 by Larsen and Toubro.
May 2013: Haryana and Punjab dispute once again over the name of the new international airport.
July 2012: Larsen and Toubro get the contract to start construction for the new terminal building to be completed by 2014.
May 2012: Punjab and Haryana dispute again regarding naming of the new airport after Union Civil Aviation Minister approved in principle the name "Shaheed Bhagat Singh International Airport". Haryana wants it named after Chandigarh.
October 2011: CM Parkash Singh Badal urges PM Manmohan Singh to lay foundation stone for the airport. Most likely, the airport will be named Shaheed Bhagat Singh International Airport.
Shaheed-E-Azam Sardar Bhagat Singh international Airport, Mohali
Shaheed Bhagat Singh International Airport, Mohali
Bhagat Singh International Airport, Mohali
Bhagat Singh International Airport, Chandigarh
Nek Chand International Airport
Chandigarh International Airport
Mohali International Airport
CONNECTIVITY WITH THE LOCAL CHANDIGARH AIRPORT
The Chandigarh Master Plan discusses three options to access the new international airport by road. The new airport terminal will be located on the south side of the runway.
1. Connecting both the terminals via an underground tunnel across the runway: The existing road that goes to the airport will continue and will go across the other side of the runway via an underground tunnel. This route was not approved as per recent media reports.
2. From Zirakpur: A road off NH21 going via Zirakpur will connect with the new airport terminal. No recent updates available currently on this route.
- Via NH 64, connecting further with Airport-Aerocity Road.
- Via NH 22, connecting further with Airport-Aerocity Road.
3. From Chandigarh Purav Marg, Sector 48 side. No recent updates are available about this route.
CONNECTIVITY OPTIONS PROVIDED BY GMADA
1. Airport Aerocity Road connecting further with a road going directly to the new airport. This road can be accessed near Mohali Railway Station.
2. A road going off Sector 65, Mohali and connecting with the road going directly to the new airport. This route is being constructed.
Copyright 2015 (Airportchandigarh.com) - All Rights Reserved.